- When: 13 April 2021, 09:30AM TO 11:00AM (New York time)
- Registration: To register for this event, please click here.
On 13 April 2021, the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) will be hosting a virtual global launch event for the 2021 Global Food Policy Report: Transforming Food Systems After COVID-19. Speakers will share evidence on the impact of COVID-19 and discuss the way forward for the transformation of global food systems.
COVID-19 has upended local, national, and global food systems, and put the Sustainable Development Goals further out of reach. But lessons and momentum from the world’s response to the pandemic can contribute to food system change. In the 2021 Global Food Policy Report, IFPRI researchers and experts explore the impacts of the pandemic and government policy responses to date, particularly for the poor and disadvantaged, and consider what it all means for transforming our food systems to be healthy, resilient, efficient, sustainable, and inclusive.
The chapters in this flagship report explore key requisites for such a transformation in light of the current shock — balancing health and economic policies, promoting healthy diets and nutrition, strengthening social protection policies and inclusion, integrating natural resource protection into food sector policies, and enhancing the contribution of the private sector — and how best to achieve them. Regional sections examine the diverse experiences of the pandemic worldwide, and the impact of varied response measures.
Moderator: Ms. Charlotte Hebebrand, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, IFPRI
1. Opening Remarks
- Ms. Agnes Kalibata, UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy to the 2021 Food Systems Summit
- Mr. Marco Ferroni, Chair, CGIAR System Board
2. Report Overview
- Dr. Johan Swinnen, Director General, IFPRI
- Dr. John McDermott, Director, CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH), IFPRI
3. Rapid Fire Presentations
- Dr. Samuel Benin, Deputy Division Director, Africa Regional Office, IFPRI
- Dr. Neha Kumar, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Dr. Valeria Pineiro, Senior Research Coordinator, IFPRI
- Ms. Danielle Resnick, Senior Research Fellow, and Theme Leader, Governance, IFPRI
- Dr. Shahidur Rashid, Director for South Asia, IFPRI
- Dr. Rob Vos, Director of Markets, Trade, and Institutions Division, IFPRI