Welcome to the South-South Global Thinkers BAPA+40 e-Discussion focusing on the "Role of South-South Cooperation and the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development."
I have the pleasure of moderating this e-Discussion and am pleased to inform you that the e-Discussion deadline has been extended until the November 6, 2018.
In order to strengthen South-South cooperation, the United Nations General Assembly, in its resolution 71/244, will convene a high-level United Nations conference on South-South cooperation on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the adoption of the Buenos Aires Plan of Action for Promoting and Implementing Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries (BAPA+40 Conference).
The purpose of this e-Discussion will be to invite think tank network members of the South-South Global Thinkers: the Global Coalition of Think Tank Networks for South-South Cooperation to contribute to the preparatory processes for the BAPA+40 Conference.
The e-Discussion will feed into an Independent Annual Report on South-South and Triangular Cooperation, which has been requested by the UN Secretary General, and will provide valuable inputs that will inform deliberations of Member States towards the adoption of an outcome document. In this regard, the Independent Report will be launched and presented at the high-level United Nations conference on South-South cooperation on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the adoption of the Buenos Aires Plan of Action for Promoting and Implementing Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries (BAPA+40 Conference) to be held next March in Argentina.
The UNOSSC Independent Comprehensive Annual Report on South-South and triangular cooperation will reflect on the importance of this historical milestone, the progress that has been made towards the Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries (TCDC) and subsequently South-South & triangular cooperation, its growing distinctiveness in contrast to traditional development cooperation, and the collaborative international relations between countries in the Global South. Specific focus will be offered on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and how their achievement can be facilitated, has, and could be further accelerated through South-South and triangular cooperation.
The Annual Independent report, as an information tool for political leaders, practitioners and academics, will explore the diversity of cooperative models, the impact of these models on current global challenges, including sustainable development and poverty reduction, and the need for more innovative and inclusive strategies to develop as part of the multilateral and bilateral cooperation system.
The e-discussion will also be presented during a South-South Global Thinkers Steering Committee meeting to take place during the Global South-South Development Expo on 27 November 2018, in New York.
In particular, this e-Discussion will focus on the below BAPA+40 conference theme/sub-themes, which have been endorsed by the General Assembly:
The overarching theme of the BAPA+40 Conference is as follows: “The role of South-South cooperation and the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: Challenges and opportunities.”
The BAPA+40 Conference sub-themes are as follows:
- Comparative advantages of and opportunities for South-South cooperation;
- Challenges and the strengthening of the institutional framework of South-South cooperation and triangular cooperation;
- Sharing of experiences, best practices and success stories; and
- Scaling up the means of implementation of the 2030 Agenda in support of South-South cooperation and triangular cooperation.
In line with the above-mentioned BAPA+40 Conference theme and sub-themes, the e-Discussion will focus on the four questions below:
- Questions 1: How did South-South and triangular cooperation contribute to poverty eradication, reducing inequality and equitable economic growth? Kindly provide concrete good practices related to investment, trade, development cooperation, infrastructure, digital economy/tech and capacity building. In addition, what were the challenges those good practices faced?
- Question 2: How can South-South cooperation including triangular cooperation be scaled up in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda?
- Question 3: What are the comparative advantages and opportunities of South-South and triangular cooperation compared to other modalities of cooperation?
- Question 4: What additional measures are needed to strengthen current institutions and legislative frameworks of South-South and triangular cooperation (focusing on the global, regional and national levels)?
To post a contribution to the e-Discussion, please enter your contribution in the comment box below and select the Comment button.
Dr. Hany Gamil Besada, e-Discussion Expert Moderator and
Senior Research Coordinator, UNOSSC